a cesspool of interwebness

Downlodes

Posted by Unknown On 2007-04-27 4 comments

Exploration #4 - Inspired by the novel House of Leaves, this track is an experiment in soundscaping and abstract use of atmospherics. It does have musical elements however - I'm partial to the reprise of the filtered attacking synth toward the end (a few of the shorter stab notes have been dropped and the beat is gone allowing it to really float against the noise in the not to distant background).

Ghostheory - Originally called "Game Theory", this track evolved from minimal techno into a thumping floor burning banger. I'm really fond of the transition from the breakdown to the full on beat and then how it is able to slip out of it again. Also, look for the ghost, it's in there (a subtle moving soft almost organic synth sequence slowly appearing and disappearing in the background).

I gladly accept all criticisms and comments.

4 comments:

Selbonaut said...

Are you wanting Criticisms and comments on the music, or just in general...

Because I have been waiting for this momment for a long time =)

rainswept said...

My computer speakers don't do them justice, but I really enjoyed Exploration #4 - the labored breathing is a great idea.

Notice on p320 how Chad hears what later proves to be Holloway's death "...something about a walker in darkness, then a bang, like a gun shot, and the sound of a man dying." No mention of Holloway saying walker in darkness in the discussion of the Hol[ ]y Tape, but back on p150 in Truant's footnote 196 JT uses the same phrase - Walker in Darkness. I wonder if the Walker would better correspond to the growl, or the breather in your piece. Or might they be one and the same?

Is Ghostheory also inspired by HoL? I ask because a 'ghost theory' is important to my understanding of the book.

Unknown said...

re: Exploration #4, the growl is meant to actualize the sound that Holloway believes/observes is always around him, stalking him. The breathing is, specifically, related to the strained effort when doing anything in that deep, dark place.

re: Ghostheory, not specifically... it really did start out as this much less encompassing minimal thing, then it grew into its current state.

Did the fact that the two songs were developed in parallel mean that HoL affected Ghostheory? I'm sure it did (how could it not? might be a more interesting question to consider).

Regarding quality of speakers... when next you are out to my place, I'll subject you to a full experience of it.

captainorange said...

Thanks. I'm glad I had the house to myself. Though I am in my basement, I expect the neighbors might need to go for a walk to shake off their uneasiness after that.

Exp#4:
It was, dare I say, pleasant? In the sense that I took horrific pleasure trying to imagine a twisted video montage from the non-existent movie that won't stop thrashing in my mind. 03:00-03:45 is definitely my favorite section

Ghost Theory:
Ghost wandering through the smoke filled haze of a house party? Lost, forlorn but curious. Suddenly, a moment of awareness/recognition at 2:38-44. Something is wrong. A chaotic frenzy of images follow through to 4:07. Things come to a head around the 6 minute mark (is it fear, anger, or satisfaction?) and the screaming coming in after 6:31 leads us to what we knew would be the inevitable conclusion.

I was actually moved to get up and dance to this one. Wow. It's really fast and I was exhausted in no time.