a cesspool of interwebness

My Face Is Killing Me

Posted by Unknown On 2006-08-21 4 comments

Wilkanomics and I hit the Canada Remembers Airshow on Sunday. It was a nice sunny (and windy) day - so nice in fact that I was smart enough to leave my sunblock at home. Today I'm sporting a very severe sunburn on my arms and face that is driving me nuts. While I can respect the awesome power of the CF-18 and F-15 fighter jets, I think Iraq has proven how useless Air Superiority is. The Snowbirds were charming and impressive to watch as were the smaller more aerobatic demonstrations. On a scale of 1 to 10, the Airshow was pretty nifty - but I don't think I would ever go again. It was certainly louder than on TV, but it was essentially the same experience as watching a TLC special about modern aviation.

On totally unrelated notes:
The myth of 2-part chemical bombs (thanks Screwloose)
The myth of a dominant console (how can a piece of not-in-production-ware possibly be poised to take the lead in the industry still? can we say PS3 fanboy pundits? I knew you could)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You never did say what the air show was on a scale of 1 -10. So, what is it?

Personally I give it -6 (that's a MINUS 6) as I was having a particualrly unsuccessful yard sale, thanks in no small part to the show. Then, as if the f'n flyboys were trying to spite me they flew low enough over my roof that I could read their serial #'s, then some prat in a F-15 lit up and it was so loud that car alarms went off all the way downtown, my house shook, and my one working ear hurt. They better think about altering flight paths next year, before there's a lawsuit...

I will admit that when said F-15 looked like it was going to crash into the Safeway on 33rd I was pretty excited!

Unknown said...

On a scale of 1 to 10 it was I'm not going to go next year even though it was cool. You figure it out. :)

That F-15 was unbelievably loud. If I didn't have ear plugs in I would have ringing ears. All of the children in the audience were crying after it went by at 600 mph. Good times.

ScrewLoose said...

Air Superiority is extremely useful for taking out enemy production capabilities and larger known targets.

It doesn't do a damn thing for controlling a populace though.

ScrewLoose said...

Not defending Sony but I know they have been punching out the Cell chips for awhile. Which is the main component they can't outsource. That still leaves them the chips for the blueray drive.

They seem to be thinking that it doesn't matter when they release that they won't have enough. Odds are a small release will probably be beneficial if they are lacking release date games......