a cesspool of interwebness

Fantastic Evening

Posted by Selbonaut On 2011-03-08 7 comments

Last night I had a great experience. I was working on campus and was to set up one of the lecture halls for a guest speaker. I work on campus in the Media Access department (yes, I am the A/V guy). I went to the lecture hall to meet the speaker and set it up to how they wanted it. To my surprise the guest speaker was Bob McDonald from Quirks and Quarks. After setting it up we ended up sitting for about 10 minutes just chatting. It was a slow night and I stayed to watch his presentation which was highly entertaining. After the presentation I felt a bit star struck and got my picture taken with him (notice the shit eating grin I have).



I know that many of you are going to either comment on the fact that he isn't a celebrity (or a large one at that) so why were you star struck, but he had a huge impact on my decision to want to be a highschool biology teacher. It is because of him and one other TV personality, John Acorn, that my passion for science and nature grew when I was a kid. Meeting him made me feel like a kid again, and listening to his lecture really affirmed my decision on education. The short take home from his lecture I would like to share with you, and you can really apply it to all facets. No matter how much we know, or think we know, there is always more to learn. Don't stop questioning or learning.

Thanks for reading, just felt like sharing that with you all.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bob McDonald is AWESOME! I'm so jealous....

Mrs.CPM said...

And, yes, that IS a shit eating grin. :)

Unknown said...

Yup, if we could see your teeth there'd probably be some poo in there.

Congrats on meeting one of the people who helped point you in your chosen direction.

Clockwork said...

I've listened to Bob since I was a little kid. Jealous.

Selbonaut said...

;)

Unknown said...

Good to have you back Clock' been gone for AGES!

pseudoRequiem said...

You're lucky, if I ran into any of my childhood heroes I'd probably have to facepalm and wish I hadn't been such an idiot.