a cesspool of interwebness

Inital Thoughts: Fallout New Vegas

Posted by Unknown On 2010-10-17 4 comments

If you've been thinking about possibly picking up Fallout: New Vegas... 
This one is a sure bet!!
I started playing the game Thursday night in the rare downtime I have nowadays (babies do that to you), and I'm thrilled to say that it's fantastic. So far.

I should include the caveat that if you didn't like the last game, Fallout 3, you won't like this one. But if you, like me, loved the huge open-post-apocalyptic-world of Fallout 3 then you're in for another, slightly different, dose of the same awesomeness.

This time you're in Nevada, and there's a lot more wilderness, but so far that hasn't been a bother as there are little settlements scattered all about. Haven't actually made it to Vegas yet, but I am looking forward to it! 

There's been some nice tweaks to gameplay, making the perks (many of which remain) and the VATS system a little better balanced. They've added elements that encourage you to pick up the oodles of random shit you see so that you can use it to make useful stuff (similar to the potion and magic item making skills in Oblivion, also made by Bethesda). Also added is Traits, which add both an advantage and disadvantage at the same time, and the moral decisions in the storyline aren't quite so clear cut. 

I've barely scratched the surface of this ginormous game, but first impressions are that it's exactly what I was waiting for. If you're sitting on the fence regarding this game, then consider this the first of many reccommendations you are sure to see.
Now I'm gonna go kill me some convicts and mutants. Viva Los Freaking Vegas!

4 comments:

ScrewLoose said...

Cool, I'm still not done the previous game yet.

Unknown said...

I may skip the previous game and go straight for this one. What are the mulitplayer/coop options?

Unknown said...

There are no multiplayer/co-op options. Not sure that this sort of RPG would benefit from co-op, methinks it may be a little too slow-paced.

If you do decide to try out Fallout 3 before this one, make sure you get the Game of the Year Edition with all the nifty DLC included.

Fable 3, out next week has on-line co-op options. 360 exclusive though.

pseudoRequiem said...

I'm a huge Fallout 3 fan but from what I hear if you're going to start now, you may as well play New Vegas as the gameplay is almost exactly the same but some things have been corrected from the original attempt. I'm thinking seriously about grabbing the broken steel DLC for the original first though. Maybe trade in my original copy for a GotY edition...