a cesspool of interwebness

An Alternative to Castle Ravenloft?

Posted by Unknown On 2010-10-03 0 comments

Mansion of Madness

In a previous post, I alluded to the fact that I was a little let down with Castle Ravenloft now that I've seen game play video. Mansion of Madness looks to have the same dynamic/changing game board as BaHotH and CR, but will have it's own separate proprietary game mechanic.

I've played a number of Fantasy Flight games over the years (the best of which are Arkham Horror and A Game of Thrones, each for totally different reasons) and I'm generally a big fan of their well thought out, thoroughly play tested game mechanics and polish.

Any game that opens up with a letter: "by the time you read this I'm probably dead..." sounds pretty neat to me. Also going for this game is a fresh take on some familiar monster tropes instead of a simplification (or straight up regurgitation) of 4th Edition monsters and character villains that I'm already familiar with.

I came across the Fantasy Flight splash page for this new game while looking up some minutia of the rules for Arkham Horror, as I'm playing a solitaire game at home this weekend. The Fantasy Flight site is very well laid out and I was able to find what I was looking for super quickly. I think Mansion of Madness could be a huge winner.

Release date is Christmas 2010. I think I know what I'll be asking Santa for!

No comments: