a cesspool of interwebness

Left 4 Dead 2

Posted by Unknown On 2010-09-13 3 comments


Spent a good part of the weekend slaughtering hordes of fast moving zombies in Left4Dead and it's sequel, moreOfTheSame part 2.  I mock it a bit, but in actuality I really loved the intensity of the game play.  The sequel features more of the same good stuff from the first installment, plus a smidgen of little additions that just improve the experience.

I'm particularly a big fan of the new incendiary ammo.

I'm wondering what people think of the new paradigm of 'fast-zombies' in general.  This weekend I was also playing some Resident Evil 3 which is the exact opposite of L4D.  It was intriguing gameplay focused around problem solving rather than pinpoint shooting.  I'm going to take another crack at Resident Evil 5 on console as I had totally written it off after playing the demo on my PS3, but now I'm thinking I should return and give it a second look.

Do you have L4D 1/2?  Do you have an XBox360?  Do you want to play some online?  If you've answered yes to all three of these AND have received an "Add Friend" from a certain LincoLn ToasT which you've subsequently ignored, you're a son-of-a-bitch.

In other news: life without contractions would suck gigantic goat balls.  No, seriously.

3 comments:

Toad008 said...

I see the two different zombie styles as great. Assuming I want to be as prepared as possible when the zombie outbreak occurs, you can't ignore the possibility of fast zombies.

In an entertainment sense, you have pretty much nailed it. Some games, fast action games, just won't mesh well with slow zombies. Likewise, more deliberate shooters (like RE5) just don't work with fast zombies.

If you just want senseless mass zombie slaughter, you should check out Dead Rising, where large hordes of slow zombies meet almost comical situations. Nothing says fun like picking up a frying pan, heating it up on a stove, and killing zombies by holding it to their faces. Or grabbing empty mop pails and putting them on zombie heads, and watching them wander blind and aimlessly, as you slowly push your lawnmower closer. The sequel (creatively called Dead Rising 2) has a downloadable prequel (Dead Rising Case Zero) which is like $5, and gives a pretty fun example of what the series is like. I think its the game I'm most excited for coming out this fall... 2 player co-op too, hop in hop out, which is always great.

pseudoRequiem said...

I'm a fan of both styles of zombie mayhem. I abused RE5 when it came out (it was my first Resident Evil game and I prefer the action oriented to scary). I've also mastered most of the difficult parts of L4D 1. Enjoy both hugely and would love to co-op either one. :)

Unknown said...

I'll check out DR2 and DRz.
Thanks for the suggestions.