a cesspool of interwebness

Enemies Everywhere (Princeton)

Posted by Unknown On 2008-02-23 4 comments

Those bastards at Princeton are back to undermining north americas security again!







Well, it looks like we can't protect our computer data after all (and using Linux vs. Windows is apparently no protection, that makes me laugh so hard that it actually hurts a little).

But here's the big question in my mind.

Imagine if some 15lam0faci0 group uses this technique to steal important security data from a stolen laptop, and then subsequently uses that information to carry out a successful attack. Does that make these researchers accomplices to that act of terror? Are they not helping the evil-doers (jihadis and black-hats alike) by making this discovery public? Where is the outrage?

More importantly, where can I get a copy of there Bitunlocker software to use to amaze friends and co-workers with acts of digital legerdemain (say that 5 times fast)?


PS - word out to Rippin Kittin' for Friday night.

4 comments:

ScrewLoose said...

Doesn't really bother me much, I turn my computers off when I'm done. No standby for me.

Unknown said...

I don't know why you would so quickly rule out the possibility of data ABOUT you being on some sleep/standby using schleps laptop that gets stolen.

It's not about personal practices that you should be concerned because this isn't a 'big brother' problem (quite the opposite).

It's about the practices of the pleebs/goons out there who have somehow ended up in control of YOUR data domain (either through some incompetent bureaucratic mechanism or some malign private interest) and are completely inept at how to manage it.

And I quote Worth from "Cube"-
It's maybe hard for you to understand, but there's no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge.

It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a masterplan.

Can you grasp that?


I think we're talking about something more similar to this. You can drive as safely as you want to (or think you can), but that isn't going to stop some dump truck with bad brakes from flying into an intersection you happen to be in.

;)

rainswept said...

It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a masterplan.

I gotta love a Cube quote.

You've done a man's job, Sir.

Unknown said...

hehe...