a cesspool of interwebness

Blogspot -> Google Blogger

Posted by Unknown On 2006-12-20 10 comments

So, Google has acquired Blogspot and now they are gradually moving everyone away from the original blog system (which GnoSchitt is a part of) to the new Google version. This sounds like it will be a bit of a pain, so I'm going to wait until I'm on Xmas holidays to even attempt the process of conversion - I will likely do it around Dec 28th or 29th, well after people have had a chance to post a favorite item from their Xmas loot!

Yeah, but what does it all mean?

Those of you with Gmail accounts (bless you) will be able to login with that account username and password now instead of the separate Blogspot account you created. Those of you without gmail accounts will receive invitations, again, to join the blog and then will have to go through some process to get logged in again, probably by converting the Blogspot account you originally created.


I've really enjoyed the running commentary over the past year, and I sincerely hope that people will jump through whatever hoop is necessary to get back onto the blog. Certainly every topic imagined is valid. Hopefully I will be able to add the menu system back to the blog and I plan to add topic counters too along with some other features that the new Google version supports.


Looking forward to everything everybody thinks in 2007.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those of you who want to be all stars will get their game on and go play ... by migrating your blogs now. Then, as rock stars, you will get the show on and get paid.

Which means nothing.

Those who migrate can post to both migrated and original style blogs from their dashboards, while Blogga-Cola Classic drinkers are confined to old-style blogs only.

Anonymous said...

If you migrate now you can post to both classic and migrated blogs. If you don't migrate, you are confined to classic blogs.

Anonymous said...

Unless, as I mentioned on Little Scratches, you receive a new invitation from a migrated blog - in which case the blogs you view on your dashboard will be different depending on whether you log in via blogger or gmail.

Meaning you need to login once for classic posting and once more to post to migrated blogs. Sigh.

Also, if you receive a new invite and accept it to post on a migrated blog, your profile will not show non-migrated blogs of which you are a member.

Toad008 said...

I hope this means I can add some of the Blogs I watch to my google homepage. I love that thing.

Anonymous said...

The "good" news is that whenever you do decide to migrate, the migrated data overlays the interim info, so displayed names, dashboards, etc will return to their pre-migration content.

I think that's it.

Unknown said...

This whole thing has been kinda annoying. I'll be so much happier when it is over.

On the upside, the new features all look pretty cool. I'm looking forward to having JavaScript support back.

Anonymous said...

toad008, I don't thing there is a special blog feed module, but there is an "add by URL" link on the Content Directory next to the Search Homepage Content button. It will stream a feed from any blog that has that function enabled (Settings -> Site Feed -> Allow Blog Feed -> Short OR Full)

You can add as many of these as you like.

Anonymous said...

I should really get my thoughts together before I comment.

When you use the add by URL, you can build in a filter if the site uses labels. For example, if I only wanted the 'administrative' posts from Little Scratches I would enter the URL as http://alamarjatoday.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/administrative

Unknown said...

Having your thoughts together isn't that great. Sure it makes you look wiz at your job when you have a clue, but how much does it add to the bottom line of happiness? Not much.

Like focus, to quote Fort Minor:

Focus is overrated
Cause you see every blemish and mistake and can't change it

AngryParrot said...

I finally understand why I couldn't post to your blog with my google blogger account. That never made sense to me.