a cesspool of interwebness

Bad PR goes Viral

Posted by Unknown On 2012-01-04 3 comments

This one requires some reading, but it's an important object lesson. It's got an angle featuring one of the Penny Arcade dudes (Gabe specifically) which is why I think it ties into our content here.

  1. Start here on 1up
  2. To see some of the original email content with come commentary, you can read it here
  3. To wrap it up, please read the article here on Forbes

The dude from Ocean Marketing is clearly out of control.
I'm particularly fond of the following closing statements in the Forbes article:


"In that sense, it’s more like somebody who works at an MMA organisation meeting a world MMA champion in a bar and failing to recognise them, despite the MMA champion identifying himself by name as they squared off."

In case you missed the link in the earlier articles, the full email thread is up on Penny-Arcade here

3 comments:

ScrewLoose said...

I read about this when it first hit Penny Arcade, thanks for posting some update articles. I would like to add the examiner article as a great source of even more info.

My favorite quote from the company he was representing is: “I can’t worry about the fact that there isn’t a bus big enough for me to throw Paul Christoforo under. The internet did that for me. I think they set him on fire too.”

Its entertaining to watch Paul Christoforo try to scamble out from the mess he created. He seems to think a couple apologies will get this all erased from the internet. The Forbes article suggests that he would be best off to change his name.

Remember folks, don't treat others like shit. Cause karma's a bitch.

Selbonaut said...

This whole story has brought a smile to my face. I have been following it since Mike posted the email thread on PA. This is not the first time PA has done something like this. I am not sure when people will learn.

pseudoRequiem said...

It really made me upset at first but now I feel good knowing that an internet asshole got his. A normal troll/flamer has nothing to lose as they don't represent anyone and can't be tied to anything. This is a clear case of the greater internet dickwad theory come to life.

I'm not going to lie though. I'm one of those people who makes similar calls, emails and chats with support lines and customer service. It does sadden me to say that most of my experiences have ended like Dave's did. You know why? Because, bottom line :

Unless a miracle happens that someone awesome (like PA) gets a hold of it, nothing bad will come of it. I was happy to see how this turned out :)

And I'll be burning Paul Christoforo in effigy at my next bbq. Bring roman candles everyone!