a cesspool of interwebness

Akira - Live Action

Posted by Kyro Sk On 2011-10-23 3 comments

To quote the article:

Variety also reported that production on the live-action film adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga is set to begin in late February or early March. According to the magazine, the film's current story goes as follows: "Set in New Manhattan, the cyberpunk sci-fi epic follows the leader of a biker gang who must save his friend, discovered with potentially destructive psychokinetic abilities, from government medical experiments."

I'm glad to hear Gary Oldman and/or Helena Bonham-Carter might be involved in the project now, but I'm concerned about the use of Garret Hedlund, especially in a young person role like Kaneda. He's not getting any younger and it was already a stretch in TRON:Legacy. Are there no good actual teen actors anywhere anymore?

I'm probably going to end up going to see the live action Akira no matter what, as I have immensely fond memories of the first time I watched the 1982 animated film when I was just starting to grok cyberpunk themes in high school.

3 comments: