a cesspool of interwebness

Akira - Live Action

Posted by Unknown On 2011-10-23 3 comments

To quote the article:

Variety also reported that production on the live-action film adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga is set to begin in late February or early March. According to the magazine, the film's current story goes as follows: "Set in New Manhattan, the cyberpunk sci-fi epic follows the leader of a biker gang who must save his friend, discovered with potentially destructive psychokinetic abilities, from government medical experiments."

I'm glad to hear Gary Oldman and/or Helena Bonham-Carter might be involved in the project now, but I'm concerned about the use of Garret Hedlund, especially in a young person role like Kaneda. He's not getting any younger and it was already a stretch in TRON:Legacy. Are there no good actual teen actors anywhere anymore?

I'm probably going to end up going to see the live action Akira no matter what, as I have immensely fond memories of the first time I watched the 1982 animated film when I was just starting to grok cyberpunk themes in high school.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Update:
Article from The Escapist.

Selbonaut said...

I want to be excited about this, but they are doing nothing to make me think they will do it justice.

Unknown said...

Every time I've heard about this project the last few years, I shudder. Sure I'll watch, but I'm worried it'll be a train wreck: either a fanboy fiesta with a budget, which will suck because it will lack the craftsmanship that comes from a properly produced film; or it'll be a high-budget bit of eye-candy shite that will spit on the towering legend that is Akira.
Ditto the Neuromancer film they're trying to produce...