a cesspool of interwebness

An important distinction...in some cases.

Posted by pseudoRequiem On 2010-11-17 4 comments


I'm on a fence. It's a fence that some didn't take the time to look at before they jumped over and I'm one of those people. I've since then slunk back to it and perched atop it hoping that no one has noticed that I was already on the other side. This particular fence is that oh so controversial topic of piracy. Most pointedly piracy in software, music and other digital media.

I've thought through some points for both sides that make a lot of sense when they deal with particular circumstances but I'd prefer some thoughts first. No need to divulge any info on whether you do or do not participate. I'm just looking for some solid arguments both for and against. Particularly with respect to consumer financial state, company profits, financial support for the medium, artistic appreciation, creator success, etc...

1 comment due by next week. Have a good week class.

Finished 100%ing Mass Effect on Insane. Easier than I thought it would be. And yes the picture is just to stir the pot a bit.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm for it. And I'm against it. I see a lot of pros for me and a lot of cons for hard-working creative types (and cons for corporate fat cats who can lick my balls).

Fact of the matter is that we have so over-commoditized art and entertainment that we (as a society) almost force pirating to happen by raising expectations to a fever pitch, then raising prices to unattainable levels. It's a self-sustaining problem exacerbated by the ease of information transfer brought on by the internet and no matter how hard the corporations try, there will always be some hackers out there who will find a way to beat the system, just to beat the system, and then the next level of piracy begins.

There is no definitive argument on this topic, in my opinion, so I'm just gonna try to stay under the radar.

Mainly what I think is:
Mind your own fucking business!

Selbonaut said...

I am excited at where things are going for streaming media and downloading movies (legitimate copies). I was talking with a co-worker the other day on this and he said that because of netflix and the ability to stream instantly he has reduced his downloads by half. I think that would transfer to a lot of people.

I want the convenience of being able to get what I want when I want it at a reasonable price. The problem is is that I know that will never happen unless I take matters into my own hands. CD's when they came out said that they were only going to be $10 tops, and they are still sitting at $16 for a new release. The fat cats that was mentioned above are to blame, and as soon as the industry stops blaming the downloaders and starts to look at what they them selves have done to the industry, maybe they will wake up to the fact that things need to change.

Apple was onto a good start with the$.99 download, and some companies (mainly indie) saw huge profits. they money is out there, you just gotta work for it. Brick and mortar stores are dead. Streaming or other instant media is the future... but I will not pay the same price as a physical medium...

captainorange said...

I'm not saying we should have to, but I would pay the same amount... if it came with the same "rights" as the physical medium. I hate buying something and then being told what to do with it. I don't care if we are talking about Lego or an ebook.

grrr.

Unknown said...

The bigger question is: how do we explain how we got to this point to our kids?

Morgan and I are trying to figure out how to be responsible and at the same time, use the medium (digital/streaming) most effectively.