a cesspool of interwebness

Who You Gunna Call!

Posted by Toad008 On 2009-10-15 5 comments


Taking a lead from Kyro, I figured we needed someone to review games who would be willing to review Xbox360 games. So I'm going to start with some reviews. That said, my first review is a cross-platform game, but one I think many Schittheads will enjoy:

GHOSTBUSTERS!

Total Time: 6-10 hours. Harder for me to lock down, as I restarted once.
Played on: Xbox360, available for PS3, Wii.

Verdict:
If you like Ghostbusters, this game is a must play. The story is a typical Ghostbusters story. Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, who wrote the movies, helped with the script. Dan Aykroyd is quoted as saying "It is essentially the third movie". It helps immensely that you know the plot of the two movies, as it takes place 2 years after Ghostbusters 2, and involves elements from the previous movies. Also, most of the cast contributed voice acting, making all the characters sound like you want them too. They also keep a lot of the humourous banter that makes Ghostbusters entertaining.

You play as "Rookie", a character who never talks, and never gets named, as they don't want to become too attached to him. At first I was upset at this, because I wanted to be a "real Ghostbuster" but I quickly changed my tune. They did such a good job of capturing the personalities of the Ghostbusters, I enjoyed being the 5th wheel. If I was, say, playing as Peter, I wouldn't have been so set on impressing the female character. I much preferred leaving the AI to being him while I wrangled me some ghosts.

That is where Ghostbusters shines. Trapping ghosts. You start with your Proton Pack and they nailed how it should feel to use it. You blast the ghost to weaken him, then it automatically switches to capture mode where you struggle to move the ghost where you want him. Usually this is where I realize I neglected to throw my trap down. Release him, throw trap, and quickly re-capture. First ghosts are easy. Then you fight a couple at a time. Then they add possessed people, who you have to slime to knock the ghost out of the body, then capture. Possessed items which you can just destroy. They did a really good job of making a lot of variety while maintaining the same weaken then capture gameplay. They give you a couple other weapons too, your slime blower, Shock blaster, and Hadron Collider, that are better on some enemies for weakening them, and add some puzzle elements. I found I spent a lot of time using my good old reliable proton stream though. Which will cause explosions if you cross streams for too long though.

You can trash almost everything. Infact, that's half the fun. Fighting Slimer in a pirate themed bar? I broke so many bottles of liquor, set chairs on fire, blasted art work off the walls. They actually tally how much property damage you do. It's also very satifying to pick up your hot trap with the ghost you just wrangled, and survey the smashed, burning wreck of a "room" you left behind.

The difficulty of the game was perfect. It was challenging, but not frustrating. Typically the boss fights took a second to figure out what you had to do, then it was just a matter of doing it right. Usually your Ghostbuster teammates will shout out tips, or hints. So if you are stumped, you can just try to stay alive until hints make it more obvious. Once I got to the last level, it was dark, and confusing to navigate, but it was a maze, so that was it's intent. If you just follow your teammates, often they will lead you to the next key area, but I'm not very good at that. The last boss was epic, and a beautiful environment to fight in, but easier than the couple ghost attacks just before him.

Downsides to the game?

First annoying thing is the save system. It's all autosaves, which is fine, but they used very confusing messages when you launch the game. Also, there was no way to turn off autosaves, resulting in me over writting my first play through as I was showing a friend the cool intro video, and first boss. (Seriously, the first boss you fight is Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, how awesome is that!)

Second peeve, the Multiplayer portion. It's a lot of fun, but has bad network code, resulting in a lot of lag. Also, it was written by a different company, giving a very disjointed feel to getting to the multiplayer. Gameplay-wise it is very similar to single player, but with less intelligent AI.

They made a big deal about the face animations of the characters, and how amazing it was they lined up with what they were saying, but I really didn't think it was impressive. Or even close a lot of the time. Compared to other titles coming out, it wasn't a feature they should have promoted.

Some of the Achievements / trophies. I don't really care about the points, but I dislike things that are impossible to figure out without a guide. They have things that involve cooking a ham in 1 specific level. I didn't even notice the ham when I played the game. It was smaller than a plate, in a banquet hall.

I've also heard reports that they rendered the PS3 version with lower quality textures, a move that seems stupid to me, but I can't confirm that.

The credits. When you finish the game, it starts the Ghostbuster theme, which is awesome! Then it interrupts it to go to a less exciting tune, after about 20 seconds. Then the credits go on for 10 minutes. It's a bit understandable, as it's a big title, and they had a lot of companies involved, but honestly, does Dan Aykroyd's legal representative's personal assistant's secretary really need a mention? This is a peeve of mine for a lot of blockbuster games lately though.

Overall, I had a lot of fun playing it. If you like Ghostbusters, it's a must play. However, due to it's length, and limited replay value, I'd say you can rent it, and finish it one weekend. (Or if you own a xbox360, borrow my copy for a weekend)

5 comments:

rainswept said...

Thanks for the review. I have watched some people play throught the demo, and there seems to be a lack of urgency in some places... ie no ingame enforcing of urgency. Did you observe this? Or is it a case of 'once I'm playing I feel the urgency in character'?

Toad008 said...

Definitely depends on what you are doing. When you are just trying to find the ghosts, there is definitely no urgency. Once you start working on pulling a ghost in, it get much more intense. Early on in the game, when you fight single ghosts, in the combat aspect there is still very little urgency. Once you get further, you have to match your weapons to ghost weaknesses to have a hope of capturing them all in time. One of the last fights, near a gate, if you stood still for more than 1 second, you would die. It's not really true urgency, as if you just stood in a safe spot, you can stand there for hours. I would say in combat though, things definitely get fast paced and hectic.

It makes it a good laid back game to play. You get bursts of quick action, broken up with sections of investigation (which is not boring), and cut scenes of humour.

I'd also recommend playing the demo. I think this is a game that watching doesn't really compete with playing. Watching someone capture a ghost vs fighting the ghost as you pull it in is very different. It's fishing =) absolutely boring to watch someone else do, but quite enjoyable to do yourself.

Unknown said...

Thanks for a 360 review. I've got this one on my list to play, so your feedback is appreciated.

I'll try and get up full reviews for a couple of others in the next week or so:

Batman: Arkham Asylum - played it, beat it. It's the Batman game I've been waiting my entire life for.

Borderlands: First-person shooter/RPG hybrid in a Mad Max-esque future.

Dragon Age - Origins: "The spiritual successor to Balder's Gate." For me the most anticipated RPG since Fallout 3. Expect a review on this late November, unless someone beats me to it.

Fun, fun fun!

Unknown said...

Short games are fine. Metal Gear was far too long. Mirror's Edge was better.

I hear that Brutal Legend is also fairly short, which is good because a) I want to check it out and am always short on time; b) too much of Jack Black can ruin anything; and c) it looks like Prince of Persia and Uncharted 2 are both going to be long.

I'll definitely check out Ghostbusters if it's nice and short. Maybe the next long weekend?

Can't wait to hear about Batman:AA

Toad008 said...

Prince of Persia wasn't too bad actually. Early on it seems like it'll take a long time, but once you get a better feel for the controls, it gets quicker. I finished it awhile ago, but when I finished, I got an achievement for finishing it in less than 12 hours. Also, Uncharted 2 wasn't that long either. I haven't played it, but Nathan finished it in about 3 days? Sounds to me like you have a bunch of games on your plate that could be single long weekend wrap games.