a cesspool of interwebness

Ronin, by Frank Miller

Posted by km_f5 On 2009-07-20 2 comments

Upon recommendation, I picked up this graphic novel from the local library on Saturday and finished it Sunday evening. In short, I totally dig it!!!

The images are incredibly textural in nature and concept, and the story very dark and engaging. Pre-photoshop... pre-digital even, the novel was published in 1983 -- vintage! (squee)


I will definitely look for more graphic novels of this nature. Also, methinks I need my own copy =D. If you haven't already, you should most definitely check out this book!

What are your recommendations?

2 comments:

rainswept said...

Interested parties will discover Ronin stocked at McNally Robinson, upstairs in the Graphic Novel section.

Unknown said...

Graphic novels? Oh boy, where to start?

If you're into just picking up from the library you can get your mitts on a bunch of collections.

Check out the Fables series, written by Bill Willingham.

The Invincible series is fun.

The Books of Magic, starting with a one-off written by Neil Gaiman and then expanded into a monthly series (about 8 collections before they ended the series I think).

Of course if you enjoyed Frank Miller you should pick up 300, and the Dark Knight Returns (a Batman comes out of retirement to kick ass story).

Also brilliant are many of the works by Alan Moore, like The Watchmen, or the fiendishly clever League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the move doesn't come close to doing this series justice). Top 10 is an intelligent and fun series as well.

For violence with a humorous edge I prefer The Punisher - in particular the stuff written by Garth Ennis (starting with Welcome Back Frank and continuing until the Max series, which went too far to the violence side for me).

Gawd, I could go on for a while. I hope you get some enjoyment from some of these recommendations. I'm always glad to blab about comics!