a cesspool of interwebness

I just peed a little

Posted by AtlasMason On 2009-07-25 2 comments

I am most definitely a child of the 80's. I think that I was in grade 4 when the first Tron came out and I was blown away by it. I remember playing the light bikes game on the old Vic 20 we had at the time and loving every second of it. Seeing this trailer just brought it all back to me. I know it isn't the best movie ever made, (I believe that honor goes to Maid In Manhattan), but I still enjoy it whenever I catch clips while channel surfing. Haven't seen the whole thing in ages, though. Hmmmm... Perhaps I do that sometime soon.

2 comments:

rainswept said...

Villain!

Tron is nothing but pure 80's goodness... which everyone knows means the purest and the... uh, goodest.

I have, treasure, and re-watch the anniversary edition DVD.

And so does my daughter.

Vive la Tron!
Muerte al MCP!

Unknown said...

So, of course the trailer is brilliant and the level of CG these days combined with the recent improvements to 3-D (so I'm told) should make it more visually stunning that the original.

The sticking point here is going to be, as usual, story.

TRON was a brilliant story, and the look and feel fit the themes of the story perfectly. What I see here is, potentially, a brilliant tech demo or art concept piece with zero or near-zero story.

Seeing Jeff Bridges is potentially a good sign. The fact that the action felt fast, but I was able to keep my eye on all of it was a refreshing change (ask me about Transformers 2 and I'll talk your ear off how exhausted I am with action shots that I just can't follow - I don't eat ritalin).

So the snag is: story. If it's got an acceptable story (and I'm keeping an open mind here) then it's a huge win. If its got a great story... well... okay, let's just stick to hoping for an acceptable story. However, if it becomes painfully clear that the script is shit - and let's be honest the recent track record of remakes isn't exactly sterling - this will be yet another painful reminder of how 'things were better when we were young'.

Recent remakes/reboots that I liked:
* Speedracer (not everybody agrees)
* Batman, Superman
* Star Trek

Stinkers:
* Transformers 1&2

Hopefuls:
* Astroboy

All hope may be lost (I'm going anyway):
* G.I.Joe