a cesspool of interwebness

Sasktel vs. Shaw - your thoughts?

Posted by Clockwork On 2008-05-26 3 comments

I'm trying to decide whether to go with Shaw for internet and phone as apposed to Sasktel. I have been happy with Sasktel's service but find that my internet is a little slow for online gaming (though not bad) and my bill is a little excessive for phone. That being said, I haven't used Shaw in ages.

We require Canada wide long distance (anytime) and I use the internet both for gaming and torrents along with general use.

If anyone has had recent experience with Shaw's services, your advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Toad008 said...

Depending on the package you get with Shaw, they put a cap on your data transfer per month. You need to assess how much you use the internet to make sure you won't hit that cap. They usually don't mention that cap.

Shaw's High Speed caps you at 60 GB a month. If your going up to their Extreme pack, they allow 100 GB a month.
Sasktel's Extreme package is the same price, if you get the best bundle deal possible. We don't. Same speed. No monthly cap.

From my experience, if you think you'll stay under the cap, Shaw can go faster than sasktel, but depends on your neighbourhood, time of day, and how many others are using it at the time. Sasktel seems to be more reliable speeds, but slightly slower than shaw.

Your mileage may vary.

Clockwork said...

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Rippin Kittin said...

I have Shaw cable/internet/phone and am more than happy with all of it. I upgraded to the Highspeed Xtreme package for the extra $10/mo, and they also have a 'Power Boost' thing that gives you an extra boost in download speed for a short period... it's great for torrents, so long as your not *constantly* downloading multiple huge files.
Their tech support (imho) is second to none and any problems I did have were quickly rectified.