a cesspool of interwebness

I Don't Want To Blow You Up...

Posted by Unknown On 2008-04-10 5 comments

This is no joke.
This is actually a coloring book promoting tolerance and understanding. It is designed for parents and educators to use.

To see some more of the book, which is strangely fascinating and slightly disturbing go here.

I'm all for understanding and tolerance so this is probably a good thing; yet whenever I read the title it makes me think of some clients that I do want to blow up. But that's a personal issue with corporate greed and bureaucratic stupidity, not race or religion, and they don't have a coloring book for that - yet...

UPDATE: This book brought to you by the same fine folks that produced It's Just A Plant: a children's story of marijuana.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's 4:56pm on Friday, and the link to the pic is gone/invalid. Like, what, that cartoon was sooooo offensive somebody out there felt they had to block it? WTF?

Unknown said...

11am on Monday and all the links are working fine for me.

Clockwork said...

You know a big part of the problem is that we have no reason to cover our faces (ie. blowing sand) in North America. As a result, the only time we see people covering their faces (generally speaking) is when they want to hide their identities.

When I look at that picture, the first thing that comes to mind is that all these people are 'up to no good' because they all look like sterotypical train robbers.

Without spending a lot of time in a middle eastern country, I don't think I'm going to be able to change that subconscious 'feeling'.

Clockwork said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clockwork said...

Hmmm...in rereading my comment, I noticed that when I reference "we" as having "no reason to cover our faces", I implicitly excluded Muslims as part of "we...in North America" because, of course, Muslims have religious/cultural reasons for covering their faces. Maybe the way I should have framed it was "In North America, there is generally no environmental reason for people to cover their faces, unless they are driving cattle".