a cesspool of interwebness

Ski Trip

Posted by Unknown On 2007-09-13 10 comments


No matter what else happens, I'm going skiing this winter. My bike trip was foiled by work and weather (equally), but I'm sure I can get away for a two day ski trip if I plan ahead (yeah, go figure).

So, I'm throwing this out there: who skis anymore? I'll go alone if I have to, but it would be cool to try and arrange a group (or even a pair if that's all I can get is one travel buddy*). If you think this is something you'd like to do, post here, or email me.

Some trip planning notes
-If we can do it during the week, that is preferred, travel Sunday, ski Mon/Tues/Wed (maybe) and travel Wed/Thurs
-I'd like to avoid the Banff/Louise/Sunshine area if possible. I've skied there so much
-If we can go through Calgary I might be able to line up a place to stay one night there for free (if our numbers are four or less), but we don't have to go through CowTown if a route to Jasper is selected
-I'm willing to go as early as first week of December, I'd prefer not to go any later than first week of March
-If you come across any good deals but don't plan to come, at least let me know!

* CPM doesn't really want to ski anymore, she has this ladies shopping trip to Edmonton thing that she likes way better than the mountains - ya, I know she's crazy - like a fox!

10 comments:

Toad008 said...

I am interested. I have a couple vacation days left too (I think 4?) that I could use to make this happen during the week. I can extend the free room and board stop to Edmonton. I have space for likely up to 6 or 8 people, accross a couple houses, but some may just be crashing on couches. It won't be living in luxury.

Unknown said...

nice, on the cheap is always a bonus

Perhaps a tight 4-day schedule would look like this:

- Drive on Sunday, sleep Sunday night in (enter free host & city here)
- Wake up Monday fairly early, drive the remaining 4 hours or so to the hill of choice, ski that day
- Hotel that night near/on the hill, ski the next day, drive right after skiing the 4 hours back to (enter free host & city here)
-sleep in a bit on day 4, drive home, take last couple days totally off of work/vac just to recover

Toad008 said...

Curious as to why the sunday departure date? If we drive out on a saturday, we can ski end sunday, monday, and tuesday? Gives us a little more ski time. Although I have less commitments with family and what-not.

Unknown said...

My general experience is that you ski on weekdays, NEVER on weekends. When this is your ONLY trip to the hill, you can't afford to stand in lines with people who are in no hurry, b/c they will be back next week.

Toad008 said...

makes sense.
So no one else in this blogosphere interested in the trip? Should Jay and I maybe start communicated via email instead of these messy blog posts?
As for dates, I am very flexible. I am writing finals somewhere in December, but I do only have 2, and so far the classes are absurdly easy. I'll go on the assumption that it'll be a Sunday through Wednesday-ish. I'll see when I have a period available then. (Sunday morning is a raid day, so we can hit the road when that's done, like 2pm ish =) )

Unknown said...

Raid day? What are you playing?

Toad008 said...

Still Final Fantasy XI.
Too many friends there, and too much content. I still have so many things I want to do before I quit ; ;

Unknown said...

Bob & James would definitely be interested, but not until Feb/Mar for primarily budget reasons.

Unknown said...

After talking some talk, it sounds like last weekend of February would be the date. Specifically Monday Feb 25th through Friday Feb 29th (leap!).

With a more firm date in hand, does anybody else see that they might like to give it a go?

km_f5 said...

mmm... mountain air... You can slide down mountains all day, but I'll be in the lounge reading an entertaining book by the fire sipping Baileys.

Well, okay, a few Baileyses. :D