a cesspool of interwebness

The Long Walk

Posted by Unknown On 2007-07-09 11 comments

Well, I actually did make it out Saturday for the planned walk, and I certainly learned a lot about how the mind and body work (well, my mind and body anyway).



I started my part of the journey at the SaskPlace Husky at about 12:50pm and completed at Ebenezer Baptist Church (fitting, if you know anything about my history) at about 6:45pm. I was very pleased with my progress throughout the day and felt great right up until the approach on Sutherland when my left foot began giving me pain.

The first 10 km's were a cake walk (pun intended), but around kilometer 14 or so, just past the bridge I really started laboring with every step. By the time we reached Eb I was pretty much toast - and I mean that figuratively AND literally, as I was lathered in SPF 45 the whole day and still managed to burn the uncovered tops of my shoulders and unprotected backs of each leg.

High Points:
- hitting km 10 still feeling strong
- Silverwood Golf Course trip segment (beautiful)
- late picnic lunch along Whiteswan (thanks to Mrs. Orange)
- crossing under Sir Sid Buckwold Bridge (or Circle Dr. bridge if you prefer)
- finishing at Ebenezer Baptist

Low Points:
- falling far short of the complete distance (not even a third)
- badgering by a backyard partying hooligan while leaving the golf course
- sun burn on the backs of my legs (ouch!)
- having such an early physical failure given how fresh I felt mentally still after 6 hours

I have concluded a few things also, which I would like to summarize here, but will be happy to go into detail conversationally if asked:
- my mind is far stronger than my body (I guess I sorta thought this already, but it was interesting to have it proven in front of me)
- the circuit might be unachievable for me now in a single day given the combination of my age and health with my ability to make time to prepare (but I'm still going to make one more attempt in a single day next summer with Orange)
- if the single day attempt fails again next year, I will want to make an attempt that is planned over two days with a pup-tent arrangement at the end of day 1
- I want to make an attempt again this summer using mountain/hybrid-road bikes that should be easily completed within a single day at only minor physical discomfort; I'm looking for victi... err... participants for this trip later this summer, mid to end of August I'm thinking

11 comments:

captainorange said...

What a fantastic day. You can check out my take on it and some photos at the Orange Zone

kyro, if you are patient, I will get you some full resolution photos, soonish.

Unknown said...

Patience is my middl... hey, get your ass in gear and get me some photo's pronto style, I mean, Yesterday!

rainswept said...

Then as they might they rose, and knightly well
Their sunbright swords in flashing clangour hewed
Marvellously and long; and he that strife who viewed
Four hours which mounted to the heat of noon,
Govenale, to that white knight's attendant said:
"I wonder much that any knight endure
The strokes my master deals..."
-The Song of Arthur, S. Fowler Wright (1874-1965)

km_f5 said...

I'm impressed! Inspired, even... The photos are very entertaining and really draw one into the whole experience.

Unknown said...

BTW, at 220 Lbs / 102 kg (my current weight), I burned a measly 1684.5 Calories.

Unknown said...

Nice one guys!
I love walking and could be convinced to meander along with you on the next go - but I despise biking, so I won't be out for a bicycle trip.

And Kyro, you're a smart handsome guy, forget about counting calories. You're already on the road to physical success, just keep up the good habits and feel good. Just my 2 cents!

Clockwork said...

Hey,

Great idea! I'd be up to join you guys for either a walk or a bike the next time you consider it!

Cheers!

Unknown said...

Deal!

ScrewLoose said...

ugh.... I so need to get on my bike to be in decent shape for an august attempt. I know I can't do it as I am right now.

Unknown said...

If you didn't make it to the Orange Zone to check out the photos, I've repackaged the ones relevant to me and put them together here.

Phoenix said...

Hey, I'm definitely up for an all day walk, maybe not so much a bike ride tho. So count me in!