a cesspool of interwebness

IE 7 vs. FF 2

Posted by Unknown On 2006-10-30 4 comments



What is everybody using for Browsers these days?

I've always been a huge proponent of FireFox, and up till now it has been pretty much a no-brainer to move away from IE6 (it's called tabbed browsing). However, with the initial release of FireFox 2.0, it seems there have been some pretty significant problems.

I've been checking out IE7 on my main machine at home for a while and so far quite like it for general browsing on XP. Still have to use FireFox 1.5 for anything related to development though.

What is everybody else using for a main browser these days?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've already bumped up to FF2.0. Not a huge difference but there are some nice features.
Tabbing is better (in my opinion) and tabs won't open a new window anymore, but a new tab. There's a nice recovery feature that will bring all your tabs back if you crash (ie. if you're using a PC...). And there's a built-in spell checker which is quite nice.

If you like FF then it's worth the quick upgrade. Microsoft has pissed me off enough over the years that I won't give IE7 a chance unless I hear raving reviews from y'all, for at least 6 months...

Toad008 said...

I'm using FF2.0 as well. Tabbed browsing is nicer, and It seems to be a little less of a memory hog (for me anyway, haven't tried leaving it on for tooo long). Plus I'm just too addicted to a bunch of my extensions (add-ons now I guess).

I might install an instance of IE7 just to try out. A big thing for me is the tabbed browsing. Does IE support middle mouse button for open link in new tab? I can't live without that.

Plus, I don't do a ton of web development, but if you have to use FF for easier development, I just don't see what IE offers that would make me keep 2 installs (and 2 sets of bookmarks et al.)

ScrewLoose said...

FF 2.0, I really like that its capable of remembering what tabs I had open in my previous session.

Due to web development work I of course have a machine with IE 7 on it. Its a much needed upgrade from IE 6 but it just doesn't have anything special that will have me switching from FF any time soon.

I believe the middle click for new tab does work in IE 7.

Clockwork said...

I had tried FF at one point in the not too distant past. However, I discovered reasons, which I no longer recall, to go back to IE. I have been on IE ever since.

IE works well and Bill Gates is the man. ;)